May 30, 2007 — Just 4 Today

Just 4 Today logoJust 4 Today, I’ll drink my fiber twice (done it once), drink 2 liters of water (about 1/2), walk 5 miles (3415 — Yesterday 6.8 miles ), NOT eat between meals & NOT take seconds.

It was POURING rain when I woke up. But, it’s been like this for most of the week. If I keep my eyes open, I should be able to do my 3 walks. And WOW all this walking (regular, steady walking — nothing fancy) is doing it’s job. As of this morning, I’ve lost 9 pounds in less than 3 weeks!

Katiebird’s secret to Fast Weight Loss

Actually, obviously cutting way back on food — and consistently measuring my portions is important too. But if I was going to label 2 3 things as “my secret” to fast weight loss (which isn’t what everyone wants) it would be:

1. Drink 2 liters of water steadily through the day (don’t guzzle it in bursts; drink a cup or so every hour to keep up with the goal.) I think drinking water regularly through the day flushes some extra calories out of our system before they get converted to fat. Or maybe it just keeps us peeing so regularly we’re keeping the rubber bag empty. Either way, it gives a nice boost to the weight-loss-ego.
  2. Walk an average of 6 miles a day. Do your 3 for 15 (this is for life, not weight loss) and then walk for 1 hour more (this is your weight loss booster shot.)
  3. Walk for even a few minutes (if you can) after every meal. I’ve been reading (here and there, I’ll have to find the links later) that they think we burn the calories we just ate first. So if we walk right after eating we don’t give the calories a chance to land anywhere (and that regular water drinking would help flush them out at the same time)

This could be hooey: I don’t have any scientific evidence to back this up. But, I know that when I don’t follow these 3 rules, I don’t lose weight as fast — if at all.

What are you going to do today? What are your weight-loss secrets?

This entry was posted in Just 4 Today, Walking, Weight Control, Weight Goals.

1. FARfetched May 30, 2007 at 9:45 am #

“…they think we burn the calories we just ate first.”

You know, that makes sense. I’ve said before that it’s easier to lose the weight you’ve just put on. It’s the baggage you’ve been carrying around for years that takes a long time to get rid of… whether caloric, physical, or emotional. :-)

2. katiebird May 30, 2007 at 10:04 am #

Hi FF!!

The article I read was about a study/article on people who eat late at night, not long before going to sleep for the night. They tend to weigh more and have a harder time losing weight than people who eat their last meal several hours (or more) before going to bed.

I’ll track it down later — but I’m starting to think that can be expanded to adding just a little exercise AFTER a meal (rather than before) to burn off what we’re currently digesting as-it-happens.

Also, I agree about what you say about ‘baggage’ it’s a lot easier to deal with things (in general) as they happen, rather than later.

3. catdog May 30, 2007 at 11:39 am #

Very impressive loss record there KB.

I’m walking to work and home every day for the foreseeable future, for a total of 7 miles per day. Part of it is the car is in the shop, part is, I know the exercise is what I need.

Now if I can just get the iPod to work correctly. There are all these crazy podcasts about comic books on it because my son is a collector and had downloaded them on my laptop !

4. katiebird May 30, 2007 at 11:46 am #

Hi catdog! I really miss the days when I could walk to work. I used to always make it a point to live within 3 miles. But, this time I couldn’t move with my job-change and I live 15 miles and 2 Interstate Highways away. The walk alone would be a full-time job! Which would be fine, but I don’t think anyone would pay me.

Could you get the links for those comic book podcasts? I happen to have 3 comic book fans in my life and they might like to check them out.

I’m really glad to know another serious walker.

5. Holly Schwendiman May 30, 2007 at 3:02 pm #

Hi dear, it’s been a while since I stopped by and wanted to say hello. I think your 3 tricks are wonderful. I know I’ve felt so much better since dropping soda completely and picking up more water all day. I’m just glad it’s summer and I can start exercising in the pool again where gravity doesn’t kill the joints!

Hugs,
    Holly

6. katiebird May 30, 2007 at 3:29 pm #

{{{Holly!!}}}

I’m so glad to see you! I used to love to swim. I’m hoping that next year (or if I’m lucky by the end of this year) I’ll have lost enough weight to appear in public in a swim suit.

Thank you for stopping by!

7. catdog May 30, 2007 at 8:37 pm #

The major comic fan podcast I have a lot of on my iPod is from http://ifanboy.com/

It’s pretty interesting, if you’re into that sort of stuff. I’ll track down some more of it for you….

8. katiebird May 30, 2007 at 10:39 pm #

Thanks catdog. I’m not so much but I have a couple of friends who might be interested. I’ll see one of them on Friday.