October 29, 2007 — Just 4 Today

Just 4 Today I'llJust 4 Today, I’ll drink my fiber twice (done once), drink 2 liters of water (I’ve drunk about 1/2 liter), walk 5 miles (yesterday – 2.5), NOT eat between meals & NOT take seconds.

I’ve been on antibiotics for nearly 2 weeks now. And I think it’s affecting my judgment — or that’s my excuse anyway. Yesterday was JUST like the old days. I ate nearly all day and didn’t even give it a thought until about 8:30. I didn’t weigh myself. I didn’t take my fiber supplement. I didn’t post anything, anything at all here.

And I’m pretty sure there’s a connection.

This entry was posted in Just 4 Today.

1. Beth October 29, 2007 at 7:33 am #

Ick, kb!! Are you eating yogurt with those nasty drugs? Don’t beat yourself up – sometimes life gets in the way of our best intentions. You’ll get back at it again. I hope you can stop taking the antibiotics soon – I’m sure they’re affecting lots of systemic things. In the meantime, start fresh today. It’s a new week!

2. katiebird October 29, 2007 at 7:41 am #

I haven’t been eating yogurt — though I probably should. I’ll try to get to the store tonight.

What’s really bugging me is that I’ve STILL got the infection. The dentist didn’t get rid of all the decay when I put on one of my crowns and my gum is swollen and painful) and he says I need a root canal, but I don’t want him to do it until the infection is completely gone. But, I’m starting to wonder if it CAN clear up with the decay still there.

I guess there’s always something….

3. FamilyMan October 29, 2007 at 7:49 am #

Morning KB and Beth.

Sorry to hear the infection is still there KB. I’m more sorry you have to keep going back to the dentist and that they want to do a root canal. Been there/done that and it’s definitely no fun. Sending good thoughts and hoping the antibiotics finally kick in and get rid of the infection.

4. Beth October 29, 2007 at 8:33 am #

Yeah, the infection might not go away til you get the dratted thing out of there. What a pain in the butt. Or jaw. :-) Sorry. Yep, the yogurt will replace the good bacteria that the antibiotics are killing. And I’d be looking for a new dentist….good luck!

5. FARfetched October 29, 2007 at 9:01 am #

I’m with Beth… your dentist screwed up, and probably expects you to pay for his/her/its mistake.

6. Beth October 29, 2007 at 9:09 am #

Dentist horror story: I went to one every 6 months for 3 years. No cavities, no problems, see you in 6 months. Which was strange, because I’ve always had soft teeth, so lots of cavities. Anyway, a new dentist showed up in town – naturopathic. So I switched. He had a little camera so I could see what he was seeing. Eight bad cavities – cracked teeth – decay – needed 4 crowns and 2 root canals. *I* could see it, and I’m not even a dentist!! Over a year and $8,000 later I was back in good shape. So I’m a little picky now…want the name of my guy in Coeur d’Alene? :-)

7. katiebird October 29, 2007 at 9:12 am #

Yep, he screwed up. Luckily he knows it– and he in the same breath that he told me he’d have to take out the crown and do a root-canal, he told me that he wasn’t going to charge me for it. He was pretty horrified.

I happen to have an appointment with my doctor scheduled for tomorrow (my physical) and I’m going to ask her what I should do. I’m a little worried about the stubbornness of this thing.

I think my son has a good dentist — I went to him once and really liked him. But, I switched because he isn’t on my insurance.

It’s interesting that both FamilyMan and I have been going through these dentist tribulations.

8. rick October 29, 2007 at 9:19 am #

I woke up bright and early at 5 a.m., got a lot of stuff done, and then I read this blog. I GO TO THE DENTIST TOMORROW FOR MY YEAR PAIN. STOP! NO MORE HORROR STORIES.

I ate a fig — sweet dirt. Coffee — nectar from an evil god. Had my eggs. Chickens run like, well, like frightened chickens. Seals and Croft is playing “Diamond Girl”. Brilliant sunshine and cool temperatures dance diamonds off my goldfish pond as we await our first possible frost (meteorological on time), but I have yet to bring in all the orchids. Perhaps the walk back and forth will be my mileage today. NANO is in three days and I can’t choose a plot yet. My cockateil is confused. I’m moving like a pond skimmer bug, everywhere at once, things are getting done in no orderly fashion. Packers play Broncos tonight… should be able to cut 300 more caramels during the six seconds of action and 35 seconds of telling and showing me what I’ve already heard and said. Am I that forgetful? Ack! Life it’s great, hectic, moves to fast to let dentists, antibiotics (there is a pill to put back the good stuff in your stomach), pain, or chores get in the way of writing. I go. I write. I should have had bacon with the eggs. Darn. Maybe tomorrow.

“Party on, Garths!”

-rick

9. Beth October 29, 2007 at 9:25 am #

Ooh, sorry Rick, bad timing. Dentists are good people. Nice people. Most of them are professionals. I’m sure you’ll do just fine. Just stay away from the caramels…..

10. FamilyMan October 29, 2007 at 10:42 am #

Yep we have, haven’t be KB. I’m in the process of locating a new one, seeing the last two haven’t been that good. I thought I had found a good one when I asked if they took my insurance. They said yes they did, but I had to pay everything up front, they would give me the paperwork and I could file my own insurance. To say I was disgusted with that answer is an understatement.

Hope yours gets straightened out soon.

11. catdog October 29, 2007 at 6:06 pm #

KB– I would think it would be less likely the antibiotic is causing the confusion and more likely it’s the infection itself. Just my take.

My dentist Rx’d a high-powered mouthwash to use after the deep cleaning I had a Friday before last. The next phase of the deep cleaning is the 16th, another 2 hours of pure joy, no doubt.

Meanwhile, the smoke has cleared here in Los Angeles, and I can see things not visible for a week. Time to get back out there and walk to work !

12. Man Eegee October 29, 2007 at 6:56 pm #

Hi katiebird, just wanted to drop you a note of encouragement. We all have our days when it’s hard to master old, lingering habits, but at least you recognized it and shared it so we could all join you in recommitting ourselves (just for today) to a healthy lifestyle.

Sending you lots o’ love and light! paz

13. boran2 October 29, 2007 at 7:53 pm #

Hay, KB, I hope you’re okay. I’m sure that you can get back to your old routine. We all need a day off sometimes. Thanks for sharing your small lapse, I have had more than a few myself.

14. katiebird October 29, 2007 at 11:53 pm #

{{Hugs for Everyone}}

Beth — that’s a HORRIBLE story. Except the part where you found a good dentist and got everything fixed.

Rick, I’m sure everything will be fine for you. I just had the bad luck to have several fillings reach their end-of-life at the same time and well, it’s taking a while to fix. (also, could you tell us more about this whole caramel thing…. do you sell them? Would you sell them?)

FamilyMan, I wish I could recommend mine (obviously I can’t) if he was any good, you could come up here!

Catdog, I like the idea of that high-powered rinse. I’ll call them tomorrow to see if they can prescribe it for me too. Also, I’m going to ask my doctor to look at it tomorrow. And ask her advise.

Manny — xxoo always.

B2, thank you very much for your encouragement. Things went better today, so that’s a step in the right direction.

I wish it was LITERALLY true that every time I turn around it’s Friday again!

15. Rick October 30, 2007 at 12:08 pm #

My wife and I (I have the hard part) make about 4,000 caramels each year during the holiday season for presents, friends, and other freaks of nature. They’ve also made appearances at the Writers Retreat Workshop. It is an old family recipe, and we’ve never gone into the business of selling them, but probably will sell some after my wife retires as just a little hobby business. It takes me 3/4s of a football game to wrap a batch. A batch is 240-300 caramels depending upon how excited I get when cutting them up. Friends that drop in, eat for free. :-)

16. Beth October 30, 2007 at 12:25 pm #

And for those who have missed my comment before, they’re YUMMY! I resisted them for 9 days at WRW, but the last day I had to give in. They kept calling to me, all week. Many folks worshipped at the altar of Caramel that week…Rick is much loved (for more reasons than his candy) at WRW.