Friday, milestones and Challenges

I’m NOT going to eat between meals and I’m NOT going to take seconds. And I’m going to walk at least 3 miles, take my fiber supplement & drink 2 liters of water.

New Commitment, Day three

Friday is a special day – For a lot of us, it’s both the end of the work week and the beginning of the weekend. And for me, even though I’m retired from a regular job, my week is structured in that traditional way. I have a Monday-Friday routine with responsibilities that take me out of the house and weekends that don’t.

Thus the title, Milestones and Challenges . . .

While we’re focusing on each day individually it’s important reward ourselves at regular intervals — why not Friday? With Friday, we can check off another week toward our goal — at the point in the week where we’ve probably (thanks to the power of routine) been pretty successful.

The reward doesn’t have to be tangible. I just like to think about another-week-done and that I did pretty well. It’s the calm before the storm of the weekend.

And weekends for me are challenging:

Whatever plans I’ve got (laundry, shopping, reading, cleaning, meeting, watching) — things never seem to work out as I imagine. Also, there are WAY too many opportunities for me to wander into the kitchen and poke around until I find something I don’t need to eat.  Sometimes I don’t even realize I’ve done it.

(shaking my head)

I guess that’s my challenge: Think about what I’m doing this weekend.

What’s your challenge this weekend?  And are you at a milestone?

This entry was posted in Setting Goals and tagged , .

1. katiebird February 12, 2010 at 8:54 am #

I’m off to take my walk (yes, at the Ghost Mall) :: I’ll be back this afternoon. Help yourself to coffee but, PLEASE put your cups in the sink when you’re done!  :)

2. Debbie February 12, 2010 at 9:10 am #

I have a neurological condition that causes swallowing and balance problems. I have not been able to eat solid food for over 10 years. I live entirely on liquids. I also have trouble walking. I once took eating and walking for granted. Now they are things I dream about being able to do and know that I will never be able to do  again. So fully enjoy eating and walking. They are blessings, not curses.

3. katiebird February 12, 2010 at 10:41 am #

Debbie, I am sorry if you got the impression that I think eating and walking are curses — that’s far from what feel or believe or (even) ever think.  In fact, just yesterday (in a comment) I shared the story of the 5 years when I couldn’t distance walk and the horrific effect it had on my life.
    But, I can’t pretend that the history of my lack  of control over the foods I eat (at least at times) has been hard on my health.

4. Alex February 12, 2010 at 11:56 am #

I love the “reward yourself” idea, KB.  When I first read that, I thought you meant with food, like I do on Sundays!  There must be a list or two on the internets that will give us ideas about how to non-calorically pat ourselves on the back for a job well done.  And congrats, BTW, for getting out and walking!

*****
    Debbie, I can’t imagine how difficult that must be for you.  It certainly puts things in perspective, and that is something I’ve found a lot recently.  Lots of people have it harder than we do, and that makes it easier to be grateful and not complain.

*****
    As far as structure in the week goes, mine is really weird.  My husband is four days on, four days off, and works at night, so that makes life endlessly interesting, schedule-wise.
    A little off topic, but I’m wondering what other people’s experience is with weighing yourself.  Sunday is my “Weigh Day,” and I try to do that every week.  It’s very frustrating, though, when you think you’ve done well, then you step up to bat and you’ve lost nothing, or even gained.  But it seems a precise way to make sure I’m sticking with the program, and not just continuing to gain weight.

5. katiebird February 12, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

Alex, your schedule would be a serious challenge for me. I have a friend whose husband is a fireman and their lifestyle is similar.  It’s almost like you have to have two modes – with two totally different plans?? I’d love to hear more about it.

On the weighing issue – when I start weighing myself again (next week?) I do it everyday.  I use the Hacker’s Diet tools (I promise to write more about this!) to keep a moving/weighted graph of my progress.  It smooths out those ups and downs that you’re talking about and gives us a more accurate picture of progress.

And after not-too-much-time the daily weighing and tracking takes away the fear and stress of the scale.  The numbers aren’t going to be very big from one day to the next so it – the scale – just doesn’t that much power.

It becomes just another too.

Does that make sense?  I WILL write about the Hacker’s Diet … it’s great!

6. Alex February 13, 2010 at 6:26 am #

Katie, it sounds like you’re probably more organized than I am.  My “loose” (in a good way :-)) lifestyle, and owning my own business, makes it possible to go with the flow where his hours are concerned.  If I remember your description correctly, I don’t think you’d be into dealing with having to maintain radio silence during the day too much, as it sounds like you’re pretty busy.  Which I am, too, but I don’t do things that make much more noise than paper rustling or water running ;-).

And, wow, weighing every day!  That would definitely be a good way to keep track of your trend.  I think you’ll have great success with that!