Saturday, Reading between the lines

Just4Today, I’m not going to eat between meals and I’m not going to take seconds.  And I’ll limit my sugars to 6 teaspoons, walk at least 3 miles & take my fiber supplement.

I just finished The Road by, Cormac McCarthy.  It was a grim (and happily short) book that ended exactly as I expected.  Maybe it’ll hit me later but, it hasn’t hit me as hard as I expected.  If I had written this book, it would have been very different (Ha! I would NEVER have written this book!!!) Anyway, I would have had a parallel group walking.  With tension between the groups.  As they walked together-but-separately across the country.

I just can’t believe that the father and son could live the way they did.  It would have killed me.

On a lighter note, one of my all time favorite movies, The Boyfriend School is on TV.  The dialog, acting, editing & setting of this film is flawless.  Seriously, watch it if you have the chance.

This entry was posted in Health Issues.

1. FARfetched April 10, 2010 at 10:19 am #

I was thoroughly unimpressed with The Road — three words (“Cormac McCarthy” and that’s two words unless you look at it right) were what got it published IMO.
    J4T, I’m going to stay off my gimpy foot. Father-in-law has a b-day party this afternoon at Dead Lobster, so I’ll probably chow down on some seafood too.

2. katiebird April 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

It’s funny, Far – but, I always feel guilty for my rather frivolous taste in literature.  And then when I DO read serious fiction all I do is blast holes in it…. Is it because my standards are hire for the serious stuff?  Or what?

3. Conda V. Douglas April 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Cormac McCarthy is an excellent writer, BUT I have to be in a strong enough mood to read him–so harsh!

4. katiebird April 10, 2010 at 10:33 pm #

Conda, are his other books so bleak?

I like his writing – the sentences – but, I think the story could have been improved.  It makes sense to me that he wouldn’t necessarily know what happened but, I never understood why they had to take off walking.  They didn’t start their walk until several years after the event… right?

It’s almost like he was deliberately not answering the reader’s questions.

5. Beth April 11, 2010 at 6:21 am #

It was way too dark for me. I want to be taken to a happier place when I read. And I saw the ending as bleak, too, although most people don’t. Dark, dark, dark. I won’t see the movie, although I love Viggo Mortensen. (We went to the same college at the same time, but I didn’t know him.) Glad you weren’t too scared!

6. katiebird April 11, 2010 at 7:24 am #

Beth, I’m still thinking about the ending.  At the moment, it feels like McCarthy “cheated” and I wonder if his Editor is afraid of him.

It could have been a much better story with just a little tweaking.  And it seems to me a writer is only as good as his story.